Friday, September 2, 2011

S&S Community Meal Project Launched!


With the economy in a tailspin and the high unemployment rates, more and more people are turning to food banks, soup kitchens and similar places to help feed themselves and their families. It wasn't that long ago that I found myself in one of those lines waiting for food. I remember feeling hopeful (and grateful) because I knew where my next meal was going to come from but some people aren't so lucky. I vowed that when my situation changed I would do something to give back--to help others in need.

One family helping other families...

The Seasoned & Stirred Community Meal Project is a collaborative family effort. My sister, brother and I created the Project as a way to help eradicate hunger while spreading love and hope throughout Baltimore City. Our goal is to prepare and serve fresh, nutritious meals to low and no-income families and individuals while dishing out heaping portions of love, compassion and inspiration.

Last Wednesday, we officially launched the community meal project. We set up a table at the corner of Jefferson & Montford Streets in east Baltimore and were able to feed over 50 people (what a blessing!). We served oven fried chicken, roasted herb potatoes, angel hair pasta w/creamy butternut squash sauce, fresh corn on the cob with garlic/herb butter, fresh summer fruits, bread and chocolate candy bars for those wanting a sweet ending to the meal.

The folks couldn't believe we were giving away food! When they saw that we were serious, they were astounded and very, very grateful! Our efforts were rewarded with plenty of hugs and compliments on the meal and I'll never forget the beaming smiles on the faces of the kids. :>)

Currently, the project is funded solely by us with a little help from friends (THANKS Karen, Rodney, Yvette & Jamaal!). We are seeking monetary donations to continue the meal project and to be able branch out to other neighborhoods. Please consider helping us to feed other families and eradicate hunger--one plate, one neighborhood at a time. Use the ChipIn widget or "Donate" button located on the sidebar to make a donation (all online donations processed via PayPal) or contact me via the Seasoned & Stirred Facebook page for a mailing address. No amount is too small. If you are a business owner and would like to donate food let us know. If you cannot make a donation, please help spread the word about our project and say a prayer for us. Thank you in advance for your contributions and support!

2 comments:

  1. Lady Lynn, This is so awesome and I am so very PROUD of you. Surely the heavens will open and pour you out a blessing you have not room to receive. Keep doing what you're doing. It is so marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've already received so many blessings--it is what has inspired me to give back. Thanks for the support and encouragement! :>) Please visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts on this post!