Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Best Thing I've Eaten...This Week

Gnocchi w/Parmesan Tomato Cream Sauce...

Ok, I know I raved about Tea's incredible omelet on Sunday (yes, it was insanely delicious) and I realize that today is only Tuesday but my gnocchi with parmesan tomato cream sauce is the best thing I've eaten this week--so far!  Warm, creamy, serotonin-inducing comfort food. Need I say more?

Gnocchi w/Parmesan Tomato Cream Sauce
created with love by LBTurner

Gnocchi:
1 pound fresh gnocchi
1 quart water
1 teaspoon salt

Parmesan Tomato Cream Sauce:
3/4 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 c grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1/2 c diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1 teaspoon tomato powder
2 tablespoons white wine
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste

To make the sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add minced garlic and cook garlic until tender and slightly browned.  Add the wine and stir to deglaze pan and simmer for one minute.  Add the heavy whipping cream, cheese, tomatoes, parsley, basil, tomato powder and salt & pepper.  Stir, sprinkle the nutmeg and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

To cook the gnocchi: Add the quart of water and salt to a pan and bring to a full boil.  Add the gnocchi and cook until they start to float on top of the water--usually 3-5 minutes.  Remove with slotted spoon (try to take as little water as possible) and place in the pan with the cream sauce.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Serve as a side dish or main course.  Finish with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg and garnish with fresh basil.

Notes:

~ Gnocchi is an Italian dumpling usually made from potatoes. You can find fresh gnocchi in most gourmet supermarkets or Italian specialty markets.  If you cannot find fresh gnocchi locally, there are many places on-line to purchase it but beware that some sites will require you to purchase in bulk and some sites require next-day shipping--which can be very expensive--to ensure the product stays fresh.

~ I would suggest using the best and freshest parmigiano reggiano cheese possible as a cheaper version or powdered version may require more cheese and will not have the same flavor intensity.

~ Store leftover pasta/sauce in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to three days.

4 comments:

  1. You make me do my homework.Gnocchi, small Italian dumplings made from potatoes, semolina(a granular,milled product of durum wheat, used esp in the making of pasta)flour or a combination of these. I,m am going to grow right along with your teaching. you,ve be bump-up to fifteen stars. Thanks Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. LOL...learning is fun--especially if we're learning about yummy stuff to eat. Let me know what you think if you decide to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look scrumptious! I'd do it without the tomato powder though and just use concentrated tomato paste or something, though I guess the colour wouldn't be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Denise! During the summer months I would have used more fresh tomatoes as they would have been a rich red color with more intense flavor. Tomato paste was my first choice but I didn't have any and I didn't feel like running out to get any since the dish was almost finished.

    This was my first time using the tomato powder and I'm glad I did because it gave the dish the tomato flavor/color I wanted. Thanks :>).

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts on this post!